It seems that a lot of people aren't aware of what exactly is involved in a university education in English. The literature program has an obvious emphasis on literature, but in doing so, it forces a sensitivity to the differing historical and cultural varieties of English used by the different authors.
So, what can a BA in English get you? Here are some of the more interesting jobs available:
- Advertising and Commercial scripting/writing
- Television and Film scripting/writing
- copywriter and documentation editing (esp. in tech companies like Microsoft and RIM)
- Any job that doesn't require a specific degree (e.g. Intelligence Officer)
- Translating/Editing (from free-lance, to technical manuals, to government contracts)
- English/Language pedagogy (and reinforce the cycle of school...)